users@glassfish.java.net

GlassFish startup lifecycle

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:57:57 PDT

One of the nits of JEE is that there isn't any standard place to really hook in to the EJB side to perform one time startup. There's the Servlet life cycle methods that can be used, however.

But there's the rub.

If I have a 2 WARs in an EAR, sharing some EJBs, how does the lifecycle work?

Specifically, which WAR gets their ServletContextListener first? Are all of the ServletContextListeners called before any of the WARs can start accepting requests?

And if I have an expired EJBTimer or a message in a JMS Queue with an MDB attached, are they called after the ServletContextListeners, or can they be executing before the SCLs are started or finished?

(Doesn't EJB 3.1 give us a singleton bean? I can hardly wait!)
[Message sent by forum member 'whartung' (whartung)]