users@glassfish.java.net

Transferring files via application client- need advice

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:18:23 PDT

I have been developing an enterprise application within glassfish v2 where the user front end is an "application client" launched via the built in Web Start mechanism.

This application client has a need to move very large files (up to 5gb) to and from the glassfish server. A secondary requirement is that the client program if at all possible tunnels all data to/from the server via a single connection to one server using the built in rmi of glassfish. As a worst case scenario we are planning to SFTP the files to a separate server.

What I am looking to find out is if there is any way to move these large files from an application client to the glassfish server using rmi. We had considered just storing the files as a blob, does anybody have experience persisting large blobs within an application client in glassfish? Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to move files reliably withing glassfish?

Your input is much appreciated.
[Message sent by forum member 'benju' (benju)]