users@glassfish.java.net

Re: MS SQL Server 2000 for JDBC with NetBeans IDE 5.5 and Java EE 5

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 14:11:19 PDT

May I suggest that you include MSSQL 2000 in your official testing - I think it'd be a huge mistake to overlook the importance of that version of the database. The cost of upgrading from 2000 to 2005 (as well as the learning curve) is significant - leaving many, many installations of MSSQL 2000 in the wild for much longer than non-commercial databases. The situation is different in the open source world where things can be more freely and incrementally updated.

Speaking from experience...with all of our enterprise apps currently running on 2000, we won't even consider 2005 for several years. I know of several large companies locally (and not) in the same scenario.
[Message sent by forum member 'zambizzi' (zambizzi)]