users@glassfish.java.net

Can JPA cope with a dynamic schema?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 01:18:39 PDT

I just need a quick sanity check here please.

I suspect that if I had a database schema where the number of columns in a table changed at runtime (i.e. the table definition is controlled by the application user), there is no way to effectively annotate a collection (representing the columns) dynamically at runtime.

I realize I could avoid the dynamic column definition by moving what would have been the columns into rows, and giving each row a "column id", but I'm reluctant to do this as I'll end up with a massive number of rows.

Further to this I'd like for the actual table creation and deletion to be under dynamic control of the application user.

Can anybody please confirm that this kind of dynamic schema use problem is appropriate or inappropriate to a Java Persistence Architecture solution? And if it is possible point me in the right direction.

Thanks, in advance,
Philip Wilkinson
[Message sent by forum member 'wilkinp' (wilkinp)]