users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Any way to run GF as a non-root user against port 80 in Linux?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:04:35 PDT

> glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> > Any way to run GF as a non-root user against port
> 80 in Linux?
> >
> only root can access these ports (80) so this rule is
> also valid for the
> GF process.

Well this isn't the case on Solaris 10. You can grant the right to a process to open normally protected ports, while not granting the process "full root" privileges. SMF does this all day long.

> > Do we have to front it with Apache?
> >
> Well, you would have to have this process running as
> root, right?

Apache starts as root, but its children process run as something else ('nobody' is a common user for apache), inheriting the open ports from the parent. So, any children these processes fork are also not root.

And many tomcat instances run as a user other than root, when they are fronted by Apache connecting via a proxy or connector.

So I'm curious how GF perhaps is doing this on Linux.
[Message sent by forum member 'whartung' (whartung)]