users@glassfish.java.net

Re: RunnableBase removed from appserv-rt.jar in V2 b42+

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:26:36 PDT

Hi Kedar,

I am not saying it is wrong to have the classes in appserv-ext. However, this change invalidates the developer guide in the wiki as the instructions they give are no longer correct.

ie: https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/docs/DG/beakt.html#beakv
or: https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/docs/DG/beakt.html#bealg

I looked into creating the appclient.jar using <install-dir>/bin/package-appclient.bat but it creates a 50MB jar file! Seems a little over the top.

I am not sure why you say that I am "on my own" with standalone clients - the instructions are clearly documented in the Developer Guide and as far as I am aware it is not an unusual thing to do! Rich clients even feature in the Glassfish V2 architecture diagram http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/gfwiki/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishV2Architecture

So, either the Developer Guide needs updating, or the change needs to be reversed. Either way it is quite inconvenient when you have to spend a few hours tracking down what changed from one version of glassfish to the next. On top of that all the application library dependencies need to be changed for things to work again.

Thanks
Cameron
[Message sent by forum member 'cameronr' (cameronr)]