users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Major Application client and ORB frustrations

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 03:06:54 PDT

Dear Tim,

thanks for your response. I agree with you on almost everything. For most of the issues you mention there is a workaround that is feasible. What hits us most are the ORB related problems, and it may well be that for each of them is a workaround available, I just have not found it, even when going through the source code of the ORB.

Nevertheless there is one little consequence with the JNLP support. In every document found on this website it is strictly recommended to use a portable EJB client. The only way to achieve this is to go through the application client container, which in turn can either be invoked from the command line, or through the Glassfish JNLP support. With the custom Webstart WAR, you loose all this and have to go the non-portable way (being strictly discouraged throughout all documents).

So what is really missing is either a flexible JNLP container within Glassfish OR documentation how to invoke the ACC from a custom JNLP, which would be sufficient.

I hope I could bring the JNLP issue a bit into more context. And let me add that I very much appreciate the effort of the Glassfish team to deliver a world-class application server - its just issues that need to be worked on and they didnt seem to be a priority initially, given the fact that most J2EE apps still use a web frontend.

best regards,

Florian
[Message sent by forum member 'florianbruckner' (florianbruckner)]