users@glassfish.java.net

Re: classpath question

From: Jan Luehe <Jan.Luehe_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:35:49 -0700

Hi Gigi,

Gigi Lee wrote On 03/28/07 03:31 PM,:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to update the jaxb classes used in glassfish. I found that
> the classes were packaged in javaee.jar in installdir/lib, which I
> presume is part of the system library.
>
> From the documentation of classpath, it is unclear whether I can use
> classpath-prefix to overwrite jars in system lib. I tried put my
> jaxb jars in classpath-prefix in domain.xml, but I do not see any
> effect. I guess classpath-prefix only applies to non system libraries.
>
> Any suggestion?

I assume you're running on JDK 1.6?

Notice that starting with JDK 1.6, the jaxb classes have been added to the
default bootstrap classpath ("rt.jar").

The only way to override any classes in "rt.jar" is by using the
"-Xbootclasspath/p:path" option, which is documented as follows:

    Specify a colon-separated path of directires, JAR archives, and ZIP
    archives to prepend in front of the default bootstrap
    class path. Note: Applications that use this option for the purpose
    of overriding a class in rt.jar should not be deployed as
    doing so would contravene the Java 2 Runtime Environment binary
    code license.

See

  http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/solaris/java.html

for more details.