users@glassfish.java.net

JSF Passing data from page to page

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 04:51:22 PST

Hi,

Since there is no specific JSF forum I am posting my question here.
As I am used to php programming for web sites I'm having problems to fit my thoughts in the JSF programming model.

I'm developing a statistical website (in fact reimplementing a php site) that contains information about 'experiments' on 'plants'. There are about 20 different views (lists, details & overviews). There is a breadcrumb menu on each page with about 6 levels. So for example the experiment detail view can be navigated to from different views.

The question is how do I let each of these pages that link to the experiment detail page know what experiment should be shown? That experiment page can also be used to browse using next and previous so a navigation to itself should possibe as well. For the moment I am putting that experimentId in a session backing bean and fetching that data in the code. One big session bean containing all 'transfer' data seems like a very ugly solution to me. In fact I would like to implement the whole site without using session beans (except for login info and user preferences). Is there a better solution? Managed properties can't be used in multi-to-one view navigation since the previous view has a different backing bean...

A second problem is a custom table generated by code, since users should be able to define column order and visibility I am creating that table in the code. That works fine but takes a lot of controller code in each table's backing bean (paging, sorting, filtering and col order), is there another way to solve this problem?

I'm starting to think I'm using the wrong framework for this kind of application, but I suppose I'm missing some kind of feature/methodology/pattern, maybe a good tutorial/demo site could help me out. That blueprints pet store site is to simple and is to much ajax-based to be useful for my case.

Thanks in advance!
[Message sent by forum member 'francisdb' (francisdb)]