users@glassfish.java.net

Re: IIOP calls not scaling well

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:43:55 PST

That's correct: the Serializable classes are CORBA value types.
The bug I was referring to was in the computation of the codebase of the value
type: the codebase basically includes all of the classpath info for the app server,
which is huge, and the computation of the codebase is not cached in the app server
classloaders. That combined with an error in using indirections to avoid marshaling
the same codebase over and over again resulted in a 5X or more slowdown on marshaling value
types in the app server, compared with standalone tests. A typical use case for this
is marshalling an ArrayList of some Java type that represents the result of a SQL query.

As for the GlassFish version, you can download b36 or later to pick up all of the ORB
optimization work. GF b36 is post-GF milestone 4, and the next stop in the train will be
GF v2/AS 9.1 FCS. I don't know when the FCS will be released at this point, but trying
out b36 or later (b38 is currently the latest build, which was posted yesterday) will give you
all of the current ORB performance improvements. We are doing more work for FCS,
but at this point we are primarily concentrating on fixing bugs. More performance work
depends on bug fixing progress and schedule changes, but we certainly aren't done.
ORB performance work will continue into GlassFish v3 and beyond.
[Message sent by forum member 'kcavanaugh' (kcavanaugh)]