users@glassfish.java.net

Connection pool keep-alive flooding database?

From: Guillaume Bilodeau <gbilodeau_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 02:43:27 -0800 (PST)

Hi guys,

We are investigating (aside from the odd app server crash...) a huge
performance problem in our production application. The bottleneck seems to
be the database server, with its 4 CPUs constantly running at 100%. After
running several statspack reports, we have discovered that over a period of
15 minutes with around 30 open sessions, a total of ~480,000 SQL*Net
messages are exchanged between the app server and the database.

How is this related to Glassfish? We have configured the Connection Pool
(which uses the oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleDataSource driver) to use Connection
Validation using the table method. My question is: using these settings,
could Glassfish be pinging the database so often?

Thanks a lot for your insight,
GB