users@glassfish.java.net

Liferay (4.2.0) on Glassfish as a WAR

From: Barry van Someren <barry_at_bvansomeren.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 18:49:42 +0100

Hi all,

First of all, happy new year!
I'm "cross posting" this from my post on the Liferay forums in the
hopes to find a solution.
Please forgive me for copy pasting part of my forum submission here,
but I hope I can find a solution with your help :-)

Quite some time ago I succesfully installed Liferay 4.1 on Glassfish
(following these instructions:
http://spaquet.blogspot.com/2006/07/liferay-summary.html ) except
using the WAR file (I got the .EAR to work but found it to be slower
due to the EJBness)

My configuration is as following:
JDK 1.6
Glassfish-V2 (Build 28, get the same results on V1 though)
Liferay 4.2 WAR

If you follow the steps and go to the first page I get the following stacktrace:

PWC1406: Servlet.service() for servlet MainServlet threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException at
com.liferay.portal.struts.StrutsUtil.forward(StrutsUtil.java:72) at
com.liferay.portal.servlet.MainServlet.service(MainServlet.java:865)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820) at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.servletService(ApplicationFilterChain.java:398)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:304)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:185)
at com.liferay.filters.secure.SecureFilter.doFilter(SecureFilter.java:143)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:217)
at

I checked to make sure the portal.properties is in the
domain/lib/classes folder, as seen by this INFO:

Timestamp: Jan 1, 2007 16:17:36.998
Log Level: INFO
Logger: javax.enterprise.system.stream.out
Message ID: Loading file
Complete Message:
/opt/glassfish/domains/domain1/lib/classes/portal.properties for liferay.com

I'm using MySQL as the database, the application server can ping the
database with it's current settings.
When using the Tomcat bundle and hooking it up with the same settings,
all works.

After some digging around it would seem that you guys have a FAQ item
about this that it can't find the error page property, but what is the
problem causing this?
Am I missing some log file?

For those who want to follow the possible discussion (and hopeful
resolution) of this problem:
http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/devzone/forums/message_boards/message/25262

I'm going to try deploying the EAR version to see if it makes a difference

Thank you very much.

Regards,

--
Barry van Someren