users@glassfish.java.net

Another performance issue, JDK5 vs JDK6

From: David Harrigan <dharrigan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 07:18:11 -0800 (PST)

Hi Everyone,

GF v2 b25.

I've come across another performance issue, this time it manifests when I
switch JDK. I've got the same machine and same setup as before, but this
time I'm switching JDK's (since we hope to go to JDK6 Q1 2007). Anyway, I've
performed the same load testing that I have always been doing and I'm
getting some interesting (and worrying!) results.

I'm testing this against JDK 1.5.0_09 and JDK 1.6 rc b104. Before each
switch I rm -rf the domains directory and I run ant -f setup.xml to
recreate. Then I add 3 jvm-options to the domain.xml

com.sun.enterprise.web.connector.enableJK=8009
com.sun.enterprise.server.ss.ASQuickStartup=false
isContainer=true <-- this is an option for my application and not for GF.

The application is rebuild each time, using the standarised build.xml that
we here are using, but I'm switching source level to 1.6 when I switch JDK
to version 1.6 (I put the source level to 1.5 when I switch back to JDK
1.5).

I again get a dramatic slowdown running JDK 1.6. My average TPS is about
1.5-2, whereas in JDK 1.5 I'm hitting nearer 16tps.

I thought, hmm, could be a JDK issue, so I deployed the same app in Jetty
and then JRun and the TPS under JDK 1.6. is up around 16, just like running
under JDK 1.5. (For completeness, I rebuild to source level 1.5 and ran with
JDK 1.5 and the tps is again around 16).

So, the only thing changing is the app server, i.e., GF ;)

(oh, and I have no system.out's coming out :-) see passim for details on
that one...)

Has anyone else tested the same app between JDK versions? It could very well
be a GF issue however.

-=david=-