users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Serious Performance Problems in GF - SOLVED

From: w.rittmeyer <w.rittmeyer_at_jsptutorial.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:20:50 +0100

sdo wrote:

> The "something" that GF is doing is using the logging framework for stdout
> as well as stderr. That means all messages to stdout get logged with a
> timestamp, a thread ID, and other information (which I must admit is quite
> useful for debugging).

I agree that these are useful bits of information. So dropping the
logging framework for stdout does not sound like the best way to go.

Nevertheless it would be nice if this could be switched off. I think it
should even be switched off by default. Otherwise GlassFish would get
too much negative press (and I doubt reviewers will go into too much
trouble trying to figure this out).

On the other hand this feature should be made more public. For
preventing negative feedback as well as to highlight another feature
where GlassFish does a nice job. S.o. should blog about it ;-)

BTW: I assume that a lot of people use log4j and stdout as one of the
appenders. Probably not the best use of log4j but nevertheless a common
one. Another reason why this feature should be switched off by default,
IMHO.

Wolfram