users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Serious Performance Problems in GF - SOLVED

From: sdo <Scott.Oaks_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:26:43 -0800 (PST)

David Harrigan wrote:

> Do you think it's worth doing some investigation on this? I say this
> because with the
> System.out's in Jetty or JRun I don't get any slowdown, so GF is doing
> something
> here that the other's aren't doing and causing this slowdown....

The "something" that GF is doing is using the logging framework for stdout
as well as stderr. That means all messages to stdout get logged with a
timestamp, a thread ID, and other information (which I must admit is quite
useful for debugging). jetty (and I assume jrun, but I don't actually know)
just prints System.out directly (but they do use a regular logger for
System.err; using System.err instead of System.out should affect jetty and
GF equally badly).

Because loggers are synchronized, this drastically affects the performance
of a test like the one you describe.