users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Performance and access logging

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 06:21:56 -0700

I agree with this. We are going to formalize this in what is
called as "Profile Support". Obviously, this will be subjective
because now you let the software (aka GlassFish software) decide
what defaults should be. It could be more or less coarse/fine
grained per the requirements from the user. To reduce the
complexity for example, we could just say that there is a profile
called "developer" that lets software decide what goes in a config file
like "domain.xml".

For instance, when user wants to use GlassFish as a "developer",
s/he would *at the time of installation* choose the developer
profile, upon doing which, the defaults (again, those that
software feels are appropriate) will be chosen.

For instance, in the "developer" profile, we will by default disable
the http access logging for all the good reasons that various people
have articulated.

Is this a good thing? Will that satisfy some/most of users' needs?

We are in the process of making this proposal for GlassFish V2.
(Sorry, still in the works). I think there will be some announcement
to solicit feedback for all the new features we do for V2.

Kedar