quality@glassfish.java.net

JSF 2, an implementation that works and looks pretty

From: Richard Kolb <rjdkolb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:23:39 +0200

Hi Cats

I thought I would share in my battle against JSF2.

A bit of background, I've created a few applications with Icefaces 1.x and
JSF 1.x in the past and wow they are great.
I've had so many complements from .NET and Python developers alike.
Have a look at these wonderful components
http://component-showcase.icefaces.org/

But now GlassFish 3.0 and JSF 2 is here and the Icefaces 1.x components just
don't work...
(I understand why, I'm just commenting)

So what is my natural course of action , Download Icefaces 2.0.0 Alpha 1 and
wow, what a struggle.
Then I try PrimeFaces 2.0.0 RC, and does not work in GlassFish 3. (I think
there is a bug logged)

So I went back to the reference implementation. It works, but it seems
missing a lot of bells and whistles and where are the demos to show the
components.
All I see is some rough samples that I could never use in a real
application.
(Have a look at the IceFaces 1.x show case, compared to the JSF 2 reference
samples)

So now I have OpenFaces 2.0 EA2 working.
It works just like the demo on the web site :
http://openfaces.org/demo/overview/homepage.jsf

I'm off with my battle axe and OpenFaces, and hopefully I can dazzle a
project manager on Monday with Java-EE 6.

regards
Richard.