quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: OpenSolaris package for Glassfish V3

From: Tom Mueller <Tom.Mueller_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:23:08 -0600

Manfred,

You need the pkg(5) tools in order to get started. Most people get these
tools by downloading a GFv3 bundle. However, if you are on OpenSolaris
2009.06, then you have pkg(1) in /usr/bin. So you can just do:

pkg image-create -U -a
stable.glassfish.org=http://pkg.glassfish.org/v3/stable/ ~/gfv3

This will create an empty user image in the gfv3 directory under your
home directory that points to the stable repository. Then you can
install the desired packages into that image. For example:

cd ~/gfv3
pkg install glassfish-web-profile

You might also want the graphical tool for managing your install:

pkg install updatetool

After performing this install, you need to do the configuration that is
normally done by the installer or at the factory for the zip bundle.
For example, do

bin/asadmin create-domain

(and answer the various prompts).

bin/asadmin start-domain

At this point, GlassFish v3 is up and running, all without downloading
an install bundle.

Note: if you are on a development release of OpenSolaris after build
122, then this procedure will work, but updatetool will not be able to
manage your user image because the later OpenSolaris builds have a newer
version of pkg(5) that is incompatible with the updatetool that is made
available with GlassFish v3. If the download bundle is used, including
the version of pkg(5) included with that bundle, then updatetool will
work fine.

For platforms other than OpenSolaris, you can get a pkg(5) toolkit image
from this download site:
http://wikis.sun.com/display/IpsBestPractices/Downloads

Once you have the pkg command from one of these images, then the above
procedure will work for any of the supported platforms.

In summary, the recommended procedure is to use one of the GFv3 download
bundles. But in answer to your question, yes, it is possible to just
point to the package repository and get it that way.

Tom