quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: how to become NB/Eclipse Plugin contributor

From: Wolfram Rittmeyer <w.rittmeyer_at_jsptutorial.org>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 11:25:08 +0200

Judy Tang wrote:
> One community member told me he is interested to contribute code, bug
> fix to NB/Eclipse plugin.
> Would like to find out how he can become a contributor.
>
> Here is the link [1] talks about community roles and governance. It
> says "Note that for code to be
> integrated, a completed Sun Contribution Agreement (SCA) is required
> from each contributor.
> See the SCA policy
> <https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/GovernancePolicy.html#SCA_Policy>
> for info.", any other steps ? Also is there a link to show all the
> steps to fix
> a bug from check out the code to check in the code ?

Hi Judy,

before starting to fix the bug I think it is helpful to contact either
the dev mailing list or a specific mailing list for the module (like
admin, ejb, web and so on) and/or contact the module owner of the
respective module of the bug. This prevents two people working at the
same bug and of course contacting the lists could be helpful if there
are questions to be asked during development.

This wiki page lists the owners:
http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Projects/GlassFishModuleOwners

Mailing lists can be found here:

When the developer has fixed the issue she/he should run the quicklook
tests. Also a dev test for this issue (to recognize possible regressions
in the future) would be helpful.

About tests for v3 (quicklook is covered here as well):
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=V3BuildTests

If everything is fine a diff has to be produced. One way to do this is
the following command:

svn diff > fix_for_bug_xyz.diff

This patch can be attached to the issue or posted to the mailing list to
be reviewed. After being reviewed a committer commits the changes.

Repeated contributions to the project (mailing lists, wiki, code,
FishCAT etc.) will eventually result in the promotion to being a committer.

Finally another wiki page which might be of interest:
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/GuidelinesandConventions.html

--
Wolfram Rittmeyer
P.S.: Note that I am a community member who was promoted a committer a