quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: Regarding Bug

From: Christopher Kampmeier <Christopher.Kampmeier_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 23:19:47 -0500

Hi Akshay,

> as i do not have exact requirements for the Update tool for Glass Fish
> V3 Prelude, i have a question that when you click the New tab on the
> update tool, create new window pops up and on that window the "Image
> title" comes up. So there should be a limit of characters for the
> title. If yes then it is a bug because it accepts infinete characters.
>
> Can someone tell me about this thing so that if its a bug i can file it.
I don't think we view this as a bug. The width of the Image Title field
in that dialog is intended to help the user constrain his title string
to a reasonable length. i.e. to help convey that it's not an open
ended, multi-line description field. Implementation- and display-wise,
there's no hard maximum length for this field.

In the following document, groups creating pre-installed images are
encouraged to constrain their titles to 30 characters. See the section
"Set a Title and Description in the Image" here:

http://wikis.sun.com/display/IpsBestPractices/Assembling+Install+Bundles

"...Try to limit the length of the title to 30 characters or less such
that the value fits within the default area provide by client side GUI
tooling."

Chris