quality@glassfish.java.net

Joined Glassfish quality community

From: Preetam Deshpande <preetamd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:19:16 -0700

Hi all,

I am Preetam Deshpande <http://www.linkedin.com/in/preetamd>, an Enterprise
Access Management professional with expertise in Oracle suite of products.
I hold a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and Engineering from
Visvesvaraya University, Karnataka, India (http://vtu.ac.in).
My interest in understanding the enterprise middleware softwares like
application and portal servers lead me to explore about Glassfish.
Thanks to Gopal Jorapur for introducing me to this group and giving much
needed assistance to bootstrap.

Further I installed the GlassFish V2 and tried to create a sample test
program of "hellouniverse"
as per the instructions given at
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/quality/portal/HowToAddTestsV2.html.

I could get through it with no issues. The availability of detailed
documentation was very helpful.
With this successful 1st step I wish to explore more about contributing to
this group. Kindly help me with details on how to proceed.

Further I have following questions/doubts from this 1st assignment:

1. About build.properties

There exists a 'war.file' property. Are there similar parameters for ear and
jar type of archives?
Or this parameter is only referred for file name and the extension of the
file is decided by 'archive.type' parameter?
However I believe irrespective of my archive type build.xml will create a
.war file.

Am I missing some thing here?

2. About build.properties

What is the purpose of 'deploy.url' and when should this be configured? Is
it required when application needs to be deployed on a remote gf(glassfish)?

3. While modifything various files for adding a new test. I observed that I
had to use strings like 'hello-universe','hellouniverse','helloUniverse'.
This part was little confusing to me. I could not figure out how to decide
on which value to use at a given entry. Could some one throw more light on
this naming convention.

4. I noticed this issue with documentation.
In section where editing web.xml is described: some of the changes are not
in bold like changing the name to 'hellouniversetest1'.
The good point about this issue is it forces you to understand the changes
you are making to the test.

--
Thanks
Preetam