persistence@glassfish.java.net

Re: Geronimo or Tomcat anyone?

From: Jacek Laskowski <jacek_at_laskowski.net.pl>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:42:14 +0100

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Dru Devore <ddevore_at_duckhouse.us> wrote:
> This will sound like a strange question since it is in a glassfish mail
> group but I need to know how difficult my task in front of me will be.

Yes, it's strange to help people with their questions about tomcat,
ejb3 and geronimo on glassfish mailing list ;-)

> I have been developing with Glassfish and my client wants to use Tomcat,
> since it is not an ejb3 container I figured it would be easier to move them
> to Geronimo if I could not get them convinced to stay with Glassfish. So I
> have 2 questions.
>
> 1. Is it even possible to run an application that uses JPA in Tomcat
> possibly using JPA in the containerless mode?

Yes, easier than you might've ever thought. Just use OpenEJB with
Tomcat and you don't have to bother yourself with Geronimo or even
GlassFish. You just deploy your ejbs with glassfish descriptors (if
you've got them) and these ejbs should run without any changes on
Tomcat. All the Glassfish descriptors are 100% supported. Still can't
believe it's true - just give it a shot or better read about openejb
and its features before you follow the route -
http://openejb.apache.org.

> 2. Can I migrate an application developed in Glassfish to Geronimo without
> too many problems or going through configuration hell?

Geronimo bundles OpenEJB as its EJB container and as such you should
not expect troubles with your approach. Send your questions to
Geronimo or OpenEJB user mailing lists. See http://geronimo.apache.org
or http://openejb.apache.org.

Jacek

--