persistence@glassfish.java.net

Re: Configuration of Client vs. Shared Cache

From: Adam Bien <abien_at_adam-bien.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 23:07:46 +0100

Hello Gordon,

thank you for the fast answer.
Gordon Yorke schrieb:
> Hello Adam,
> An application managed EntityManager always wraps an Extended Persistence Context. An Extended Persistence Context is not released until the EntityManager is closed unlike a transactional Container Managed Entity Manager which releases the Persistence Context at the end of each transaction.
>
> If you need you can simulate the transactional EntityManager by calling flush(), clear() before each commit() but this would still leave you with the detached issue.

This is our issue. Detached entities are a real problem in more complex
applications...
> The problem with holding the objects in a weak reference is the change detection requirement of the PersistenceContext. Any object touched by the PersistenceContext must be tracked by the PersistenceContext and any changes to that object must be written to the database on request, even if the object is no longer referenced by the application. With weak references unwritten changes could potentially be lost.

"even if the object is no longer referenced by the application" -> why
this? In case an object isn't referenced by the application any more, it
could simply disappear... Especially in an unmanaged environment. This
extension would be really valuable for rich clients ("rias"). Actually
this problem will have every rich client application. How hard would it
be to provide a switch to be able to choose between hard and weak