persistence@glassfish.java.net

Re: [Issue 1081] Remote business method of Session Bean returning JPA entity with lazy field

From: Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 17:46:17 -0800

Hi Bill,

On Dec 7, 2006, at 3:36 PM, Bill Shannon wrote:

> Sanjeeb Kumar Sahoo wrote:

>>> No. As I understand it, an appclient is not required to
>>> interoperate with another server implementation.
>> Is this true? Can any one confirm? If an appclient uses RMI/IIOP,
>> why should it not be able to interoperate with other servers that
>> support the same protocol? I find the following in section #6.3 of
>> the Java EE platform spec:
>> /All containers that support EJB clients must be capable of using
>> the EJB interoperability protocol to invoke enterprise beans. All
>> EJB containers must support the invocation of enterprise beans
>> using the EJB interoperability protocol./
>
> Yes, that interoperability is required.
>
> What's at issue here is which features of Java Persistence you can use
> and still be ensured of that interoperability.

So, interoperability is required unless it isn't?

> The current spec allows the implementation to perform "magic" in
> certain
> cases, without specifying a way to implement that magic that preserves
> interoperability.

Maybe it's time to consider a "standard" byte-code weaving
implementation that will allow interoperability. I have a proposal
for you to consider... http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/
final/jsr012/index2.html

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell_at_sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!