ejb@glassfish.java.net

Re: Need help with a customer escalation

From: Kenneth Saks <Kenneth.Saks_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 08:18:26 -0500

On Mar 5, 2009, at 8:33 PM, Matthew Barker wrote:

> Hi,

> I'm working an escalation that was opened against both App Server
> and Web Server. We need for the EJB FAQ.
> The customer followed instructions on the EJB FAQ on the Glassfish
> site, under the following heading:
> glassfish: EJB FAQ
> Question: "How do I access a Remote EJB (3.0 or 2.x) from a non-Java
> EE web container like Tomcat or Resin?"
>
> These instructions cannot work with Web Server 7.0 (no matter what
> update level). One can apparently make calls against EJB 2.0, but
> not 2.1, since web server doesn't support dynamic stubs. Copying
> the appserv-rt.jar over to the web server or adding it to the
> classpath will not work because the web containers have ancestry
> that is too close and there are conflicts between the classes in
> webserv-rt.jar and appserv-rt.jar.
>
> REQUEST: Please make a specific note that if one is using Web Server
> 7.0 with App Server, these instructions will not work and one must
> then host the servlet or JSP making the call(s) on the App Server
> web container.

Hi Matthew,

We'll do that, thanks. You should still be able to use the EJB 2.x
client view from the client no matter what version of the appserver is
running. The EJB 2.x client view is based on a lower-common
denominator of RMI-IIOP , CosNaming, and static stubs. In that case
our appserver's naming service code does not have to be running with
the cilent's JVM. The Remote 3.0 client view is a more tightly
coupled client view for which interoperability is not defined by the
spec, thus the larger set of issues when trying to use it from various
non-appserver cilent runtimes.

  --ken