docs@glassfish.java.net

Re: Documentation QA Requirements for GlassFish v3

From: Ian Evans <Ian.Evans_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 18:07:09 -0700

Debbie Carson wrote:
> Ian could better answer this than I, but I think he's out of touch for
> now. In the Java EE tutorials, there is an
> examples\bp\project\build.properties file that the user must edit to
> provide the location of their tutorial and GlassFish installations. This
> file is used by the build.xml file when the example is built.

Right. The user sets a few properties, and these are used by all the
common build scripts for the tutorial examples.

A more sophisticated build system might make some educated guesses,
based on the OS, of the location of GlassFish. If it can't find
GlassFish, it would then display an error with instructions for how the
user should explicitly set the necessary properties.

The point is, engineer the examples so that any OS-specific settings are
  either figured out automatically, or set once.

-ian
--
Ian Evans
ian dot evans at sun dot com