dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: (review dependency) one pager about GLASSFISH-12699

From: Hong Zhang <hong.hz.zhang_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:02:40 -0500

Hi, Jeremy
     Thanks for updating the one pager based on the previous comments
and adding lots of the details to this new version! Please see my
additional comments below.

     1. Section 3.1 Problem Area: I like all the new contents you added
here, but I feel most of the contents here probably belong in other
sections: some of them probably in Technical Details section, and some
of them probably in Out Of Scope section (the http use cases). The
problem we are trying to solve here is similar to what you put in the
Justifications section, is to allow user deploy with a URI directly
instead of doing a two step process, obtain the file associated with the
URI and then deploy.

      2. Section 4.1 Technical Details:
          a. Section 4.1.1.1 DAS Mode: the target should only be the DAS
server (the default "server") and not cluster.
          b. Section 4.1.1.2/4.1.1.3 Standalone Instance Mode/Cluster
Mode: standalone instance should be handled similarly as cluster. For
both targets, based on what we previously discussed, the deployuri
command will handle things between client and DAS (similar to what you
described in the DAS mode section) to handle the file download etc
during deployment, and for between DAS and standalone instance/cluster
part, the existing _deploy command should be used and deployuri should
not be replicated. Like DeployCommand which only executes on DAS, the
DeployURICommand should only be executed on DAS also. Once the DAS part
of the deployment finishes, the code path should be exactly the same for
a URI param and a File param.

     3. Section 4.1.3 Use Cases:
         a. Section 4.1.3.1: I am not too sure how the first sentence
fit in the context (For the command of deployuritobeapplied, there must
be an active version of the application), maybe you could clarify.
         b. I noticed there are some use cases you listed here are the
ones that we don't plan to support, in that case we should probably
separate the use cases into two groups, one is supported use cases and
one is not supported use cases (where appropriate error message will be
provided).

     4. Section 4.3 In Scope: Can you clarify what this meant (The
command of "deployuri" will accept the URI as a path to deploy the
application which is still not been downloaded. It will skip the step
about downloading the application during the Internet)?

     5. Section 4.5 Interfaces
         a. Section 4.5.1 Public Interfaces: you should document the
syntax of the new deployuri command here with the options/operand.

     6. Section 4.7 Admin/Config Support: as we talked previously, you
should add the plan for console here (plan to support or not support for
initial release).

     7. Section 4.10 Packaging, Delivery & Upgrade: you mentioned there
will be some changes to the RemoteRestAdminCommand, what are the changes
you are thinking about?

     8. Section 6.1 Project Availability: as we discussed previously,
this is now too late for Java EE 7 release, you can put the date as TBD
for now.

     Thanks,

- Hong