dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: [3.1.1] Review request for Glassfish-17039, Addition of new module jsr109-glue

From: Rama Pulavarthi <Rama.Pulavarthi_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 21:49:07 -0700

We had the Performance team run some tests yesterday with a similar
change where the Web Service AnotationHandlers were moved to DOL module
out of jsr109-impl. There was not much of a performance improvement, its
just that jsr109-impl module was not activated.

We did not want to bring more Web Service classes in to DOL as done
above, so we are creating this new module. We are hoping this would be
useful for future modularization of DOL. With the addition of
jsr109-glue, this smaller jar is now activated along with dol instead of
jsr109-impl. I will get the numbers today with this change. I am
hearing a similar change in Metro where splitting the JAXR classes out
of bigger webservices-osgi.jar has improved the performance.

I am interested in knowing from OSGI experts on how the performance
would be affected in general with the number of modules and the size of
the modules. Any guidelines in making these type of changes?

thanks,
Rama Pulavarthi