dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: LDAP authentication - jsf pages for user login/registration

From: java4dev <java4dev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 08:09:35 +0200

Στις 11/3/2011 7:27 πμ, ο/η Kumar.Jayanti έγραψε:
> On 10/03/11 11:10 PM, java4dev_at_gmail.com wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am new to web development and decided to use glassfish as application
>> server.
>> My problem is that I found the available documentation incomplete for
>> many things I need to do.
>> First thing I have to do is to figure out how to setup authentication
>> and registration for my application.
>>
>> I first tried to use a JDBC realm and I found through google search
>> dome blogs describing how to setup a jdbc realm and a form based
>> authentication, but the problem is that they define only two tables,
>> one for users and on that is basically relation between users and
>> groups, no roles at all and no accee control, and they provide jsp/html
>> pages instead of jsf.
>
> Are you aware of this external project :
> http://flexiblejdbcrealm.wamblee.org/site/

I wasn't aware of this project. I will take a look.

>> Finally I decided that if I am going to keep copying my data to
>> different tables (my schema is more complete supporting users, groups,
>> roles, access rights etc) to support glassfish then it is probably
>> better to use LDAP.
>> But there is no documentation on how to setup something like this.
>> There is no ldif file for the structure.
>> Where can I found information on how to setup glassfish with LDAP. How
>> to setup groups Roles and access control on the LDAP server that
>> glassfish can use?
>> How can I write jsf pages for user login/registration ?
>>
>> just point me to the right direction(documents)
>>

> See if this helps :
> https://www.opends.org/wiki/page/GlassfishApplicationServer

Yes I have read this and this is my problem with this. There is no way
to specify roles and role/group/user relation on the ldap.
According to documentation you specify roles, role mapping on xml files.
I can't believe that this is how we are expected to operate web
applications.
What if you are in a dynamic changing environment, with many groups and
users come and go or change roles all the time, like a bank.
Especially if you have a cluster configuration. I was expecting to be
able to set the whole security form a central place.
Have I misunderstood the documentation, is this a glassfish limitation,
or is this done in a different way?