dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: IMPORTANT: Will begin unsubscribing users with excessive auto-reply messages

From: Joe Di Pol <joe.dipol_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 12:00:41 -0800

On 03/ 9/11 11:36 AM, Sahoo wrote:
> It is not that difficult to filter these noises at the client end. Many of us have done it
> quite successfully. OOTH, it will be a lot inconvenient for core developers to remember to
> resubscribe. I checked with a number of developers locally and they all felt the same
> about the proposal.

The auto-replies from broken "vacation" auto-responders are anti-social
behavior and the mailing list subscribers should not have to deal with
them. I fully support Ed's proposal.

If you don't want to hassle with taking yourself off the list, then
don't use a broken "vacation" auto-responder. In fact I highly
recommend that @oracle.com accounts do not use the out-of-office
feature until it is fixed.

I understand that the accounts sending these auto-replies are/were
unaware of the consequences of setting up their out-of-office e-mail.
But that doesn't make things more palatable for the mailing lists.

Note that getting the broken auto-responder fixed has been escalated, so
hopefully the root cause of the problem is fixed shortly.

Joe