dev@glassfish.java.net

A failed service on startup doesn't fail the process

From: Marina Vatkina <marina.vatkina_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 20:02:56 -0700

A bug or an expected behavior?

While adding an EJB embedded test to QL, I incidentally reused existing
classpath with gf-client.jar in it. Because EJB embeddable container
suppresses some elements in the domain.xml, but we had a wrong set of
classes in the classpath, Grizzly complained bitterly:

   [testng] SEVERE: Unable to start v3. Closing all ports
   [testng] java.lang.IllegalStateException: Can't operate without at
least one <network-listener>

And the exception had been re-thrown up the stack.

But com.sun.enterprise.v3.server.AppServerStartup.run converted the
exception into an INFO message (i.e. nothing really important):
   [testng] INFO: Startup service failed to start : Can't operate
without at least one <network-listener>

And continued with the server startup procedures. While all this didn't
break the embedded run, it raised questions about the result of the test.

Regards,
-marina