dev@glassfish.java.net

RTFErrorMessage (a logging question)

From: Bobby Bissett <bobby.bissett_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:27:37 -0400

Howdy,

Our logging requirements have this: "At least one 'cause' and at least one 'check' message is required for all messages level SEVERE and WARNING."

I imagine every module has some try/catch block with a message along the lines of "Unexpected error occurred while...." Typically these are logged at the 'warning' level, and so require cause/check messages. Is there some boilerplate text we should be using for these? If the actual logged warning is something about an unexpected exception, I don't know what to put for the cause besides "ditto." And all I can think of for check is "check the log and send email to the users list."

Thanks,
Bobby