dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: multicast validator: script or asadmin command?

From: Bobby Bissett <bobby.bissett_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 16:31:51 -0400

On Aug 11, 2010, at 11:12 PM, Bill Shannon wrote:
> How about if it were a command that talked to the DAS and asked it to listen,
> then sent data, and got the results from the DAS? Would that make it easier
> to use if it required the DAS to be running?

I think that's more overhead than we need, and as it is now it can be run simply with a "java -cp <shoal-gms-impl.jar> <class>" command. The asadmin wrapper around it makes it seem more consistent with other commands, but at heart it's a very low-level diagnostic tool.

It may be that if a node can send multicast traffic then it can definitely receive it, but since I don't know that I like the idea that each node both sends and listens. So if someone runs this to diagnose cluster issues, ideally s/he would telnet/ssh/vnc/etc into each box of interest and run the tool, and starting up the DAS everywhere for that isn't needed.

But, again, I'm not the expert....

Cheers,
Bobby