dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: how to list info in the different JNDI namespaces

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 15:00:10 -0700

paul.hendley_at_oracle.com wrote on 06/29/10 09:52 AM:
> Hi Cheng.
> thanks for feedback.
>
> It was those private component scoped names I was most interested in
> viewing. :-(
>
> The other day, you mentioned that both the global names (eg
> java:/global) and the older format of java:/comp/env should both work
> for me but I questioned if that was true for my particular case as I
> could not get my test to pass when using the older format name of
> java:/comp/env/...
> ...so I wanted to list *all* JNDI names to see if private
> component-scoped jndi name did exist or not.

Note that the correct names are "java:global/..." and "java:comp/env/..."

> Also, I had some apps deployed and saw the Portable JNDI names listed in
> server.log but my attempts to view this using the CLI command just
> wouldnt work. Made me think there was something else I was missing. I'll
> try mucking around with the --context arg to see if that helps...
>
> Finally, just to double check that I understood you correctly, it is
> because java:app and java:module are component scoped, that there is no
> way to view the JNDI names for them either? ...doesnt this make
> troubleshooting JNDI names a bit tough?

To view java:app and java:module names you would have to tell it
in which context (which app, which module) to view the names. I'm
sure we could support that, but we don't currently.

I'd love to see a more comprehensive JNDI browser, especially as
part of the admin console.