dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: license inconsistency of some files originating at Apache

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 12:42:53 -0700

Maintaining copyright and license notices is complicated, and not
everyone who should do it does it, or does it correctly.

I don't know what happened in this particular case, but my guess is
that it was something like this...

We have some tools that maintain and update copyright notices in source
files. Most of these tools are pretty stupid. They don't know what the
license *should* be. They just apply or change the license as they're
told. All too often people fail to include a copyright/license header
when creating a new file. Periodically we notice this situation and try
to correct it. Most likely, someone applied these tools to the entire
source base to make sure every file had a copyright/license, not realizing
that some of the files should have a different license.

Some time ago it was reported to us that this had happened to some files
that originally had an Apache license, and that we should not have
removed the Apache license notice when we relicensed the files under
our license. In discussions with people at Apache, we reached an
agreement for how the license notices in such files should be handled.
We updated the files we knew about to include this combined license
notice.

As to whether these files should have a Sun (or Oracle) copyright notice
and license, or should retain only the original Apache copyright notice
and license, that's a question for lawyers, and not one that can be
answered in this forum.

Note also that many of the files originally contributed to various Apache
projects were contributed by Sun. I believe Sun retained the copyright
on the original versions of these files. Doing the archeology on a
file by file basis to determine which copyrights are valid can be very
complicated and expensive.