dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: REST API and slashes in resource names

From: Ken Paulsen <ken.paulsen_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 10:49:11 -0700

I think the reason it is decoded is this: The Container receives a
request like "/foo/at%40test.html" which then must be decoded to serve
up a file named "/foo/at_at_test.html". '@' and many other characters not
allowed in URLs must be encoded when they're used in a file name, so the
container must decoded them *before attempting to resolve them*.

However, when doing this the '/' character may be encoded (it is not
required to be... and *should not be* when it is used as part of a path
meant for the container to interpret). During the decoding a String
such as "/foo%2Fbar.html" becomes "/foo/bar.html" which changed it from
a single path element to 2 path elements (bug in my opinion). This can
be used to send a request through a proxy server (which apparently
doesn't have the bug which translates %2F) which then later circumvents
the context security by using "%2F..%2F...".

If our container refused to translate %2F to equal '/'... problem
solved. *Instead* our server (by default) throws an exception when %2F
is used at all. :(

Before decoding the String for use in resolving the file, I think this
would solve the problem:

     string = string..replaceAll("%2F", "%252F");

Ken