dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Slow Startup time for Glassfish and asadmin on Mac

From: Ludovic Champenois <ludovic.champenois_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:48:26 -0700

On 6/14/10 8:44 PM, Jason Lee wrote:
> On 6/14/10 10:29 PM, Byron Nevins wrote:
>> I don't have a Mac. Run a simple java program on your Mac --
>>
>> Note that AFAIK the code is > 3 years old and has been tested
>> constantly -- every start-domain exercises it. Every asadmin command
>> runs this code too.
> Ah ha! Thank you, Byron (and Ludo). It appears that it was trying to
> reverse resolve my DHCP address to a FQDN, which it couldn't find. I
> added an entry to /etc/hosts and the execution time of Byron's test
> program went from ~30 seconds to to < 0.5. That's really going to
> speed things up for me. :)

yep, but customers will not be that smart....
So the bottom line question is do we really really need to do this call?
When the real value is needed? Is not in real time, maybe a workerthread
to set it up would be enough?
This bug has been all over the place in NetBeans, SVN, Zimbra, JRuby,
etc etc...See the Google link...
Ludo