dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: DTD name changes and the DOCTYPE

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 11:15:33 -0700

No.

I described three different approaches:

1. They're all named glassfish-FOO_X_Y-0.dtd.
2. They're all named glassfish-FOO_X_Y-1.dtd.
3. The ones that are only renamed are named glassfish-FOO_X_Y-0.dtd,
    the ones that have other content changes are named glassfish-FOO_X_Y-1.dtd.

I actually think any of these are fine, but the one I was suggesting in a
much earlier message was #3. The disadvantage of #3 is that, during the
development of 3.1, the -0 version might disappear and be replaced with a
-1 version, which forces an incompatibility even if the content change is
upwards compatible. So maybe #3 isn't the best choice.

If you want to bet that most content changes will be upwards compatible
(probably a reasonable bet), #1 or #2 would be better. I don't have a
preference between #1 and #2. If most people prefer #1, that's fine with
me.