dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: ServerEnvironment vs. PEFileLayout

From: Kedar Mhaswade <kedar.java.net_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:06:41 -0700

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_sun.com> wrote:

> These two classes have methods to get various directories, such as the
> "applications" directory. Seems wrong to have two different classes
> return the same information different ways.

+1

> And of course it's about time to get rid of the "PE" name.

+1

> Anyone want to describe the history here?

I read this to mean those who have war bruises :-)
PE... class was used (supposed to be) by "clients". Thus, asadmin
(create-domain) uses it somewhat non-uniformly.

> Anyone want to offer to clean this up? :-)

I can't, at this time.
But I always believed that this is a prime candidate for cleanup. Maybe it's
time to bring the EmbeddedFileSystem from embedded to over here and then
configure it to environment it is used in. asadmin generally needs more
"paths" than server since it (asadmin) might need install-wide stuff. We do
require a FileSystem kind of interface in various environments.

I hope we don't resurrect the EEFileLayout for 3.1 ...