dev@glassfish.java.net

Changing Stdout/Stderr loggers

From: Scott Oaks <Scott.Oaks_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:39:46 -0500

In v3, the standard out/err loggers now appear to be anonymous loggers,
which means that we cannot control their output directly. The
logging.properties can have something like
.level=OFF
so that the anonymous loggers inherit that default setting, but that
affects other loggers not defined in the logging.properties file.

Is this really the intended behavior, or am I missing something? We
often see developers write noisy applications that use
System.out.println or printStackTrace() and need turn off those messages
during production. Yes, they should use a logger, but they don't always
do so, and previously we've always just adjusted the system.out/err
logging properties.

-Scott