dev@glassfish.java.net

[FYI] More frequent BindException to occur

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:45:55 -0400

Salut,

in order to fix Issue 10690 for win32 users:

   * http://is.gd/4Il5u

I've turned off the java.net.Socket.setReuseAddress()

   * http://is.gd/4Ilnw

for all TCP listeners (8181,4848,8080,3700,7676) independent of the OS
(will be a little messy if I do it only for win32)

The effect you will notice once 1.9.18-f gets integrated is doing:

   java -jar glassfish.jar
   CTRL-C
   java -jar glassfish.jar

will produce a BindException and GF will not start. The reason is the
underlying OS may takes some times to release a TCP port, and since we
no longer allow binding on an existing port, it can/will produce that
exception.

Unfortunately, it may breaks some existing tests who stop/start
listeners too fast.

A+

-- Jeanfrancois