dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: master-pom question

From: Jane Young <Jane.Young_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 04:03:12 -0700

Hi Justin,

There was a lengthy discussion about this back in March. See:
http://is.gd/2PsH3

Kedar created a table listing the v3 modules that require Java 5
Runtime:
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=ListOfV3ModulesSupportingJava5Runtime

As you can see the table is empty, so I assume the modules in v3 do not
require Java 5 Runtime thus it's safe to change the javac option in
master-pom/pom.xml to 1.6. However, changing this will only impact
modules that have <packaging>jar</packaging> set in the pom.xml (e.g.
v3/javaee-api/javax.annotation/).

Note that not all the modules in v3 are compiled with
"maven-compiler-plugin". The modules that have
<packaging>hk2-jar</packaging> set in the pom.xml are actually compiled
with "hk2-maven-plugin". See:
https://hk2.dev.java.net/hk2-maven-plugin/hk2-compile-mojo.html. The
goal "hk2-compile" invokes APT and it explicitly sets the -source option
to 1.5. See:
http://www.koders.com/java/fid3D794B0048CC3D1048464E5FA8A668E2842BC3D9.aspx?s=PlexusJavaService
I do not know the reasons why APT is forced to 1.5.

Keep in mind that majority of the v3 modules are hk2-jar.

HTH,
Jane