dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: broken pipe when running asadmin

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 20:37:24 -0400

Bill Shannon wrote:
> Bobby Bissett wrote on 09/02/09 14:05:
>> Any ideas how I got myself stuck in this position?
>>
>> --- begin ---
>> hostname% ps -ef | grep java
>> 501 35518 245 0 0:00.00 ttys001 0:00.00 grep java
>> hostname%
>> hostname% asadmin start-domain domain1
>>
>> JVM failed to start: java.io.IOException: Broken pipe
>> Command start-domain failed.
>> --- end ---
>>
>> I was trying to start asadmin with Runtime.exec() inside upgrade tool
>> and was hitting this, but I've exited all java processes and see it
>> with the command line asadmin now as well. I can then run the server
>> with "java -jar modules/ [etc]" but trying asadmin gives me the above
>> error. This is new territory for me, so I'd appreciate any help.
>
> What are you doing with the process's output streams after calling
> Runtime.exec?

Also, can you attach your domain.xml? I suspect the server might close
the connection because of a misconfiguration, thinking the transaction
is taking too long. But if the value is too small, it could (hopefully
not) produce that issue.

Since you are on Unix, you should install ngrep.sourceforget.net and
snoop the traffic to see what's happening by just typing:

    % sudo ngrep -d en0 -q -W byline port 4848

A+

-- Jeanfrancois