dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: GFv3 source integration

From: Vivek Pandey <Vivek.Pandey_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:34:22 -0700

It does not work. git-svn is not suited for what we are trying to do,
which is host a git repo/branch in to SVN and track history/cimmit
details etc. I have tried variant of what you mentioned and also tried
your steps. 'git svn clone' is meant to clone an svn repo as git. So
git-url makes git-svn throw fit.

I am not sure whether this effort of copying a git repo in to SVN like
this is worth the time. I am proposing that I simple do the following:

$ git clone <git-url> some-dir
$ cd some-dir
$ git checkout <tag> //update the trunk to specific tag
$ cd ..
$ svn add some-dir
$ svn ci

Above, all of the git wspace will be checked in to SVN including .git.
Not sure if its ever needed but this will let us update out SVN repo
using 'git pull' and then svn add/ci etc. Not nice but unless someone
has better approach I am proceeding with it.

BTW, this library is required for building jruby from source. Building
jruby from source is required only to satisfy compile time dependency.
We do not ship jruby runtime with glassfish v3. So I do not really see
much point in preserving history etc. and trying to use the remote git
repo and glassfish-svn in bidrectional sense.

-vivek.