dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: message numbers/tags

From: Ken Cavanaugh <Ken.Cavanaugh_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 00:07:41 -0700

Bill Shannon wrote:
> Some of the error messages from the CLI include message numbers/tags,
> like "CLI128". It seems that the intent was that customers could look
> up this tag and get more information about the error.
>
> Is this still important?
>
> Is anyone other than the CLI maintaining these numbers/tags?

CORBA: I have several S-expression files that are used to generate
IOPnnnnnnnnn numbers
for every exception and log message in the ORB. I have NOT gotten
around to
including diagnostic and fix information.

Gmbal: Here I use an annotated interface to generate the log messages
which contain
IDs of the form GMBALnnn. I still need to do the resource bundle
generation.
Here again I have not yet done the diagnostic/fix information (also easy
to do here
by adding more information in the annotations).

Either approach results in all information about the exception or log
message being contained in a
entry in one file, which makes maintenance of the information feasible.

Ken.