dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: V3 Monitoring questions

From: Marina Vatkina <Marina.Vatkina_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:56:08 -0700

Jennifer Chou wrote:
> Marina Vatkina wrote:
>
>> Monitoring team,
>>
>> I'm working on enabling ejb monitoring, which (besides call flow data)
>> is tracked on per bean or bean method, and in v2 terms was the
>> sub-tree of server.applications, added to is via a special registry.
>>
>> Q1. How do I do it in V3?
>>
>> Q1a. Which names would I use?
>
> The names for what? Can you give an example?

PluginPoint.XXX.

There is (I think) some generic code in v2 that inserted "bean-methods" (in
other monitoring items there are other strings) between the
<app-name>.<module-name>.<bean-name> and the stringified method signature:

server.applications.ejb-flush-testApp.ejb-flush-test-ejb\.jar.A2.bean-methods.create-java\.lang\.String.dotted-name

>> Q2. CallFlowInfo - this type was used in v2 to pass around the data.
>> Do I replace it with all its elements or is there a plan to move it to
>> gmbal, so that it becomes a type that can be used outside GF source tree?
>
> For this CallFlowInfo type, you need to implement ||
> |org.glassfish.external.statistics.Statistic, and optionally
> ||org.glassfish.external.statistics.Stats.|

CallFlowInfo is (was?) a generic monitoring interface:
./common/common-util/src/main/java/com/sun/enterprise/admin/monitor/callflow/CallFlowInfo.java

> Please see Sreeni's write-up,
> http://appserver.sfbay.sun.com/Wiki.jsp?page=Monitorig_stat_usage, for
> help on how to create module specific statistics.
> Here's the link to the API which is also linked from the write-up:
> http://kenai.com/projects/gmbal/sources/gf_common/show/src/org/glassfish/external/statistics
>

>> Q3. Can I separate @ManagedAttribute methods from @ProbeListener, so
>> that they are in 2 different classes?
>
> yes I believe you should be able to.