dev@glassfish.java.net

[action] Reviewing the v3 domain.xml format

From: Tim Quinn <Timothy.Quinn_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 14:17:35 -0500

 From time to time there have been requests for DTDs or XSDs for the v3
domain.xml. But because the content of domain.xml is variable,
depending on what modules are installed, this is not really feasible.

Over the weekend I hacked together a small tool that will generate a
simple text file describing the format, based on the interfaces
annotated with @Configured that are defined in the GlassFish module JARs.

This wiki page

    http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=DomainXMLv3Structure

describes the tool, how to download and run it, and how to interpret the
output (it's pretty simple, I hope). I have alrso recorded a few
possible errors I've seen in the @Configured interfaces as defined
currently, based on the tool's output.

Action Item:

Module owners, please review the sections of the generated output
related to your modules. Make sure that the structure (attributes,
subelements, etc.) is correct for your areas of the system. There is a
table on the wiki page to record errors in other areas.

This is not a supported part of GlassFish but might be useful for people
interested in the domain.xml format. If you find errors in the tool
itself please add a row in the tool issue list at the bottom of the wiki
page.

- Tim