dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Jerome, Sahoo: please review Jersey 1.1.0-ea integration patch

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 11:58:04 +0200

On May 5, 2009, at 10:04 AM, Jakub Podlesak wrote:

>> client tools such as updatetool and update section of Admin GUI
>> since even
>> out of the box they would have to deal with the list of literally
>> hundreds
>> of IPS packages.
>
> There is software capable of handling that big number of packages
> available
> in every linux distro. I believe this is not a principle limitation,
> even
> for a web based interface (if you are referring to the admin GUI).
> With list paging and search feature, you should be able to handle
> this all right.

+1 this is about information management with the right ontologies,
search capabilities, and scaling the software infrastructure (client
and server).

If we don't scale out we will not get the network effects that will
really make this take off.

IMHO it seems we may be working around current limitations in the IPS
infrastructure. But it would be good to get some real data like what
Jakub is asking, to help understand what are the current practical
limits and get a good balance for current usability while still being
flexible, and to get an idea of when certain limitations will be fixed.

Paul.