dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: V3 distributions?

From: Jane Young <Jane.Young_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 14:41:21 -0800

Marina Vatkina wrote:
> I've learned it the hard way (no CMP jars in the latest promoted
> build) that we have more distributions than web and glassfish :(
>
> So that others don't get into the same problem while adding new
> modules, I'm asking these questions on the dev alias...
>
> 1. Do we have a document describing all distributions and rules of
> adding modules to them?
There is an out-dated wiki page describing the distributions:
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GLassFishV3Distributions
Carla will update this page with the latest information.

There is currently no rules in adding modules. I guess to add any
modules to GFv3, you'll need to get it approved by Jerome. In addition
to adding the module in GFv3 workspace, you'll need to inform Snjezana
to get it added to the IPS packaging.

The instruction to add module is documented here:
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=AddingModule
IPS packages:
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishV3IPS

Again, these wiki pages are out of date.

> 2. What distributions do we have? Had all of them been already defined
> or adding and removing distributions (themselves, not their contents)
> is a dynamic process?
Currently in the promoted build, we have the web and glassfish installer
bundle which includes the IPS packages:
http://download.java.net/glassfish/v3/promoted/

Terena also has the zip bundles archived in the internal link:
http://javaweb.sfbay.sun.com/java/re/glassfish/v3/promoted/ea/latest/archive/bundles/

I'm not sure about your 2nd question. I know we need to add MQ so I
guess the answer is no, not all of the modules are defined. Maybe
Snjezana and Jerome have more content in this area.

> 3. How would somebody know which distribution their module belong to?
Jerome is the person to talk to.
Another way to know is to e-mail dev_at_glassfish.

> 4. What is the process of adding a module to distribution(s)?

See out-dated wiki link in #1.

HTH,
Jane