dev@glassfish.java.net

new deploy command parameter

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:09:26 -0700

Hi All

I would like to propose adding a new parameter to the deploy command,
--type.
With new converged applications, it is becoming increasingly difficult
to determine the application type being deployed. Although we can
figure out in most cases, I believe there will be a few corner cases
where several outcome is possible.

For instance, say an OSGi bundle contains some servlets (maybe to
remotely configure the module's capability), and some Spring
components. Should it be deployed as a plain OSGi bundle and used as a
library to other application, should it be a Spring app or should it
finally be a web-app. Maybe it should be all of it.

Not specifying the --type parameter will ensure that all appropriate
containers get to deploy the application, so in this case, the OSGi
exported packages are available, web-app and spring components are
deployed correctly. But maybe the user intended to only use this jar
as an OSGi bundle and nothing else. In such case, --type osgi should
be used to deploy that artifacts.

I can think a many more cases, but give me any feedback you might have.

Jerome